ShareThis

2013 - A Lovely Year of Finishes - March Goal

 Friday, March 1, 2013

This month, my March goal is to complete 2 pocket pillows for my daughter's school.  My daughter's school hosts an auction every year, and I thought it would be fun to make something to donate for it.  Someone has already donated a quilt, so I thought that I would do something different and something quick.  A lot of people in blog land have been making pillows and I thought I would join in on the fun.  Only I am going to make my pillow with a front pocket for children to put stuff in. My kids cannot be the only children who go to bed with just about everything under the sun.  Some days I can barely find my daughter in her bed.  My oldest has even slept with wood chips (something new she was collecting this past summer) and my husband's business cards.  He travels a lot.  Anyways, my favorite books to read my girls are from the Berenstain Bear collection.  I even enjoyed them when I was a little girl.  I couldn't believe it when I found this fabric collection by Moda.  When I saw it, I knew it would be a perfect "theme" for a project like this.


I also really liked the polka dot prints that went along with the fabric collection.  I purchased the layer cake from the Green Fairy Quilts and the polka dot yardage from the Fat Quarter Shop.  Both of which are my favorite "go to" online fabric shops.  I am kind of using a pattern by The Quilted Fish, which you can find here.  I am just going to use my favorite block, which is the "hourglass block" and make my blocks bigger due to the "business" of the fabric.  An example of an hourglass block is shown below.  


I just love to make these blocks.  My plan is to make a boy version and a girl version of this pillow.  Well I had better get to work.  The school auction is March 16th!

Linking up to 2013 - A Lovely Year of Finishes hosted by Fiber of All Sorts.
Happy Quilting!



4 comments:

Krista @ Sewwhatscooking.com March 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM  

What a great idea! Can't wait to see your pillow!

jeifner March 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM  

I love hourglass blocks! Those will be such cheerful pillowcases

Lisa March 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM  

OMGOODNESS!! I giggled so much reading your post - my son too can BARELY be found for all the goodies in his bed - seriously, the amount of treasure in this child's bed is quite funny and definitely cute. So much so that the tooth fairy has quite a difficult time finding hidden teeth under pillows haha (and WHICH pillow to look under!). Love your Berenstain Bears fabric - perfect with those dots. Look forward to seeing your finish.

Amanda March 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM  

Putting a pocket in it seems like a great idea! I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Designed by HotBliggityBlog

Back to TOP