Tuesday, May 28, 2013
I am so excited to have finally completed the Family Tree Quilt for my mother in law. I must admit this was a very challenging quilt to do. My sister in law and I pieced the top together, but it was my job to quilt and bind it. I really did struggle with how to quilt it. I just didn't want to "screw it up". This quilt was a very big deal to our family. My father in law passed away a year ago last May (2012) now making this family tree quilt even more precious.
For a lot of the quilting designs, I used Natalia Bonner's book, "Beginner's Guide to Free Motion Quilting", which can be purchased here. I quilted swirls in the blue areas only because I don't have a lot of confidence with feathers just yet. I did buy Angela Walter's Craftsy Class called "Free Motion Quilting with Feathers", but I just haven't had time to take it yet. I was pretty happy with how the swirls turned out, but I would really like to have them build off of each other a little more like I have seen on some of the other blogs.
My favorite quilting were the tree branch parts. I used Natalia's "flame" technique and then added "knots" to make it look more "tree-y" for lack of a better word. My sister in law kept saying that our "tree" looked more like a bush, but how many bushes do you know have "knots" in the stems? None I hope. So I must admit that I really really like how this quilting made our tree more like a tree and not a bush!
In the area that represented the leaves, I quilted a meandering loops and leaves. This was a lot of fun to do and I also really like how this turned out. I must say I quilt much better than I draw because I did practice drawing out the designs a couple of times before I quilted them, so thank goodness for that because I was getting a little worried while I was "drawing".
All in all I am very happy with how it turned out and am so glad that it is finally finished. I am linking up with "Sew Cute Tuesday" hosted by Janice.
- Fabric was just some batiks that we found our our local quilt shop. The brown we used was a Kona solid, but I don't know the exact name of it.
- The pattern was something my sister in law and I made up.
- Quilting was done by me on my long arm.
- We started it towards the end of January 2013 and I finished it mid-May 2013.
- The size is approximately 36 inches by 52 inches.