ShareThis

Hand Quilted Pocket Pillow

 Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Well it has been quite the year, 2015 that is.  Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to sew and quilt as much as I had hoped.  However, we are about to begin a new year and it is always a good opportunity for me to "re-evaluate" my life and change focus if needed.  I hope to do just that and put more focus on my sewing and quilting than I have done over the previous couple of years.  One of the things that I would like to do is "stretch" my capabilities and try new things.  One of the things that I tried over the month of December was some "hand quilting".


I had been promising my nephew a pocket pillow to hold his books but was unable to get it done for his birthday in September so I thought that I would redeem myself for Christmas.  I really like how it turned out.  The fabric I used was "On Our Way" by Riley Blake.  I essentially made up my own pattern.  I used a 14 inch pillow form.  For the pocket I used one 4 1/2 inch strip and two 2 1/2 inch strips.  I embroidered my nephew's name on the middle strip.  The font I used was the Cutie Patootie Alphabet by Bunnycup Embroidery.  I just love their embroidery designs.  They always embroider up very very well.


For the pocket I hand quilted using the DMC 8 perle cotton in black.  I just loved the result.  For the pillow front, I hand quilted using that same black perle cotton every inch.  Hand quilting was very therapeutic after I bought myself a thimble because you have to use a larger needle when quilting with the perle cotton, which was hurting my index finger pushing it through the quilt sandwich.  


Once I was finished, I sewed it together with an envelope enclosure back, which I forgot to get a picture of.  But here is the finished product after the books are added.  Plus I added a little lego set as well, what boy does not love legos!


My nephew definitely loved it!  Isn't he cute!


Linking up to Fabric Tuesday hosted by Heather and Megan from the Quilt Story.


Happy Quilting!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Designed by HotBliggityBlog

Back to TOP