ShareThis

Bret's Quilt

 Saturday, September 29, 2012

Yesterday, I went and visited one of my very good friends who just had her 3rd baby at the beginning of August.  Well new baby, always means another baby quilt to make.  My friend was doing a "western" theme in the room which will eventually house both of her boys once Bret is big enough to sleep in the crib.  She already had the bedding for her oldest son, so I wanted to make something that would compliment what she already had.  I purchased "Lil Cowpokes" by Michael Miller from the The Fat Quarter Shop.  When I got it, I couldn't believe how perfect it was going to match her current son's bedspread.  I couldn't have gotten more perfect if I had made both quilts myself!

This time, I also wanted to try something different pattern wise, so I purchased the book, Little Quilts 4 Little Kids by Anka's Treasures.  The quilt pattern I used was "Oh Baby" because I like to be able to embroider the child's name onto the quilt and add a few "embroidery touches" if I can.  I must say the pattern was a very easy pattern to do and really showcases' the fabric and quilting nicely.  I highly recommend the book because Heather's directions were great and I had no trouble at all piecing the top together.  The pattern is also really nice if you have a child with a really long name.  I wish that I had purchased the book when I was making a quilt for one of my nieces.  Here is a picture of the quilt top before being quilted.

I decided to quilt it with a double loop quilting pattern which I thought would resemnble a little cowboy trying to lasso something.  I am very happy with how it turned out.  The only unfortunate part is that I haven't been able to master taking good pictures of a quilt on my quilting machine.  I can't seem to get the lighting right in my studio, which just so happens to be in the basement, so very little natural light.  
 
The finished quilt all quilted up.
 
Close up pictures of the double loop quilting.
 

I also included a couple of pictures of Bret "enjoying" the quilt.  Isn't he cute! 

I also made Bret a couple of personalized burp clothes using the cowboy hat and boot that I used in the quilt. 

The only bad part is that I had this quilt finished before I had started up my "Hustle" list, so nothing is coming off my list just yet, but I am slowly working on that and will show you my progress as I complete.  Goodbye September, hello October.  Thanks so much for stopping by.

 Melissa  

4 comments:

Jennifer October 1, 2012 at 7:01 AM  

Awe they all turned out very cute! I also love the quilting that you did on your baby quilt.

Toni October 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM  

Bret's quilt looks great! I love the loopy quilting you did. I'm definitely going to have to attempt that sometime.

Amanda October 3, 2012 at 5:30 AM  

Hello! It's nice to meet you...I also live in Michigan and just got a long arm. It's a lot of fun and slightly overwhelming. :)

Linda October 3, 2012 at 8:15 AM  

Looking awesome Melissa!!!!!! I love the loopy quilting. Fun and whimsical!!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Designed by HotBliggityBlog

Back to TOP