ShareThis

2013 New Blogger Blog Hop

 Thursday, June 13, 2013

I am very happy to be a part of the 2013 New Blogger Blog Hop hosted by Beth at Plum and June.


This is my first time ever being included in a blog hop, so I am very excited to be able to share more of myself with you all and learn more about some of my other "blogging" friends as well.  To start off, I began blogging in order to "respond" or "comment" on other quilting blogs that I really enjoyed reading.  I also liked the idea of "documenting" my quilting and sewing creations all in one place since I can't seem to keep up with pictures in photo albums and scrapbooking!  Pictures never seem to come off my computer, so blogging about my projects is working perfectly!  The name of my blog came from meshing my two daughter's names together, which are Melia (5) and Maelyn (2).  I can't take credit for the name though because my friend, Heather, came up with it!  These two little girls inspire me to "make their world" a prettier place, so it made the title of my blog all that more fitting!  


I actually began quilting a very long time ago.  However, it wasn't until recently when I started to really branch out and try new things such as triangles and other more "complicated piecing techniques".  I will admit though that the "piecing portion" is my least favorite part of quilting.  My grandma is the one who taught me how to sew on her old Singer sewing machine, which I actually still use to this day.  That machine is made of steel I tell you!  It rarely ever breaks.  They don't make machines like that anymore!  I also have a Brother Embroidery Machine as well which I primarily use for my embroidery.  However, my most favorite toy is my Long Arm Quilting machine, which I purchased towards the end of July 2012.  Talk about a dream come true!  I will admit though due to its size it was extremely intimidating and still sort of is.  I have a Tin Lizzie DLS on the Phoenix Frame.  You can get an idea of its size below.  


I am still learning on it and hope to spend more time "learning" this summer.  My plan is to take the leap into quilting for others hopefully in the fall.  Currently, my favorite projects to work on are "smaller projects", such as pillows, table runners, and mini quilts.  Anything I can do to practice more long arm quilting designs.


Unfortunately, I don't have as much time to sew as I would like because I work almost full time as the head accountant of a small furniture manufacturing plant as well as take care of 2 little girls and a husband who travels a lot with the emphasis on A LOT.  This is the biggest reason why I am not able to participate in a lot of quilt alongs out in blog land.  It is not that I don't want to, but I just can't keep up.  I still haven't found the right balance between work life, family life, and my hobby, so if you have any suggestions there let me know!

One of my favorite notions is this cute scissors holder that I can clip to my shirt because I have a habit of losing my scissors all the time!  And I do mean all the time!  I waste more time I think looking for my scissors than actually sewing, so when I found these cute little guys I was in heaven!  Plus I think my productivity doubled!  I have like 6 of them.  I addition, I seem to have a "thing" for cute scissors.  Some people are obsessed with rulers or pins, but my thing is scissors.  See, aren't they cute?


One of my other favorite hobbies besides quilting is spending the summer with my girls at the pool.  I typically work 4 days a week and have Friday's off right now, so on Friday we have what we like to call "Pool Friday".  Typically on these days, I set up various playdates with friends so my kids can play and swim with kids their own age and we hang out at the pool all day!  I just love this extra special time with them!


I must say over this past year since I started to blog, I have really learned a lot.  I have met so many wonderful new people.  I have tried so many new "quilting" patterns.  Gotten over my fear of triangles.  Slowly gained more confidence on my long arm.   But again, I think the best part of blogging is the community!  Everyone is just so supportive and inspiring.  If you have a problem, people are so willing to help you solve it.  It is just awesome!  Here is the schedule for this week and the rest of the blog hop.  Please don't forget to stop by and visit the other blogs to see what information they have to share as well!

Friday, June 7th
Nancy @ Owen's Olivia
Amy @ 13 Spools
Casey @ The Studiolo 
Nanette @ Yeah, I Made That

Friday, June 14th
Julie @ Jolie Maxtin
Melissa @ Melia Mae Quilting
Adrianne @ On The Windy Side
Molli @ Molli Sparkles
Laura @ Little And Lots
Valerie @ Between Quilts

Friday, June 21st
Leigh Anne @ Ella's Cottage
Stacey @ The Tilted Quilt
Sarah @ Quilt Candy
Jackie @ NW Patchwork
Erica @ Happy Fabric
Stephanie @ Simple Sewendipity
Lauren @ Seraphym

Friday, June 28th
Green @ So Sew Green
Gwendellyn @ The Rainbow Revolts
Jessica @ Stitched In Thyme
Kathy @ Kayak Quilting
Michelle @ Factotum Of Arts
Kris @ Sew Sunshine
Camilla @ Faffling

Friday, July 5th
Christa @ Christa Quilts!
Stephanie @ Quarter Incher
Kristy & Shayla @ Sassafras Lane Designs

Friday, July 12th
Anne @ PlayCrafts
Cath @ Wombat Quilts

Friday, July 19th
Alison @ Making Happyness
Kelsy and Amanda @ Everyday Fray
Ella and Nesta @ Ella & Nesta's Little Room
Nicole @ Modern Handcraft
Aylin @ AyliN-Nilya

Friday, July 26th
RobinSue @ RobinSue Quilts
Elise @ Lovelea Designs
Elizabeth @ In The Boon Docks
Emily @ Sew E.T.

Thanks so much for stopping by!  I hope you come back soon.

Happy Quilting!

56 comments:

Anonymous,  June 13, 2013 at 5:59 AM  

Melissa,

Love the story behind the name of your blog. Your daughters are just precious! Your idea to clip your scissors to your shirt is genius! I keep multiple pairs by my machine because I am always losing them. I don't have any advice for the time - except for stay up super late like me and drink tons of coffee :) Of course, I'm pretty sure that's a terrible idea.

So glad you're on the hop and looking forward to seeing more of your quilting - loving the tree. Thanks for sharing today :)
Ashley

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation June 13, 2013 at 6:02 AM  

It's great to meet you Melissa! Your scissors are definitely cute, and what an ingenious way to keep them handy. Your quilting is beautiful, but I can certainly understand being intimidated by your longarm at first. I know I certainly would!

-Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Kwilty Pleasures June 13, 2013 at 6:05 AM  

Welcome to blog hopping....love the name of your blog and how you selected it...your banner is beautiful...as is your L-A Kwilting. I am a new follower and an arch rival in college football! (Wink)

RobotMomSews June 13, 2013 at 6:23 AM  

Love your pictures! Your scissors are very cute. I can totally relate on balancing life/work/hobbies. I have two girls too. Aren't they so fun? Quilting is my therapy so I sew in the family room where they are and then let them 'help' with various types of things, like sorting fabric or helping me lay it out. They love the little things and I get to spend time with my girls and sew!

jan June 13, 2013 at 6:47 AM  

Your girls are totally adorable! Your quilting looks fabulous, I think you've overcome your fear of the TinLizzy! I love the name of your blog too! I am a new follower and enjoyed reading your blog today!
jan@http://sewandsowfarm.blogspot.com/

Beth June 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM  

Your girls are adorable! And so are your scissors and scissor holder - great idea. Thanks for joining in - it was fun learning more about you.

Karen June 13, 2013 at 8:31 AM  

Hi Melissa, it's great to get to know you. That's such a gorgeous picture of your girls! Good luck with finding 'the balance', sometimes I have it, mostly I don't! :-)

Anonymous,  June 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM  

Aww shucks, Melissa, thanks for the name mention! I really enjoyed helping you pick out a name for your wonderful blog! Even though I don't quilt, I love reading about your adventures in the quilting world. And the pic of our kids is such a great memory...hopefully we can have another pool playdate this year and include our new addition to the kids, Bret!

~Heather

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side June 13, 2013 at 3:24 PM  

Wow - I'm totally jealous of your long-arm. Sounds like you have a pretty busy life, so I'm impressed with how much you do get done! Your girls are totally adorable - I love your idea of pool days. Nice to meet you!

Vicki June 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM  

Lucky gal...a long-arm! Great to get to know your family. So much fun to see how others sew!

Nilya June 14, 2013 at 1:44 AM  

HI Melissa, so great to read about you. I am really envy aobut your Long-arm, but I think, it would intimidate me too LOL

Amira@littlemushroomcap June 14, 2013 at 6:07 AM  

Sweet little girls! Lucky you to have TinLizzie! I wish you more time to sew, but I understand - the normal life of a mother, a full time worker etc! The best is, just enjoy life - and make time for fun

Julie June 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM  

Melissa, your girls are adorable. Great post and it is nice to get to know you better!

Anonymous,  June 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM  

I am both intimidated and jealous of your long arm. I look forward to checking back and seeing what you are doing with it.

Nancy@owensolivia June 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM  

Thanks for sharing Melissa! You have a lovely machine! I'm glad you are able to spend quality time with your girls. In my opinion, that is far more important than sewing!

ChristaQuilts June 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM  

Hi Melissa - it's nice to meet you. Your quilting is fantastic! And to answer your question - there is no way to balance it all, LOL! But by doing lots of pool Fridays you are on the right track :-)

Lorna McMahon June 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM  

Hi ya, Melissa! Loved reading about you and your girls. They are sweet! Wow... you must be lovin' the long arm. It looks fun! Keep up the good work... Your loopy quilting on the charcoal quilt in the center of your banner is gorgeous!

Lorna:)
http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com

Anna June 14, 2013 at 2:24 PM  

I love the pictures of your girls! The sun looks lush too - currently sat in bed with a hot water bottle because of British cold summers! I am incredibly jealous of the long arm machine.... Might just into you house actually!

Camilla June 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM  

Wow that long arm is the next step in terms of commitment to quilting. I've never seen one "in the flesh". Would be fun to have a go, but I bet it takes a bit to master! Fun!

Anna June 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM  

Lovely post! So jealous of your long arm. Those are sooo cool. I'd love to get one some day! I love that little scissor holder, too. What a great idea :)

Adrienne June 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM  

long arm machine...drooollll
So great to meet you here on the hop :)

Paula@TheSassyQuilter June 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM  

What adorable girls! Loving and jealous of your longarm. And I am definitely getting me a pair of those scissor holders!

NW Patchwork June 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM  

I also have a hard time keeping up -- and I don't work. Go figure. So it sounds like you do a great job! You have a geat looking blog--thanks for sharing.

Lisa June 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM  

Melissa - loooove your post. You girls are angelic - that photo is beautiful, love the sunlight in the background. Your long arm is HUGE - I would seriously be terrified haha - your quilting is amazing, the tree bark is a personal fave of mine. I can never find my scissors either, that clip is a must - I shall be looking for one of those!!!!

Erica June 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM  

Lovely family and great photos! The polka-dot scissors are very cute - love the colour, but I don't think I could use the scissor holder because I would most certainly end up stabbing myself and blood and quilting fabric just don't go together. Thanks for the great intro and I look forward to visiting again.

Unknown June 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM  

Your daughters are so lovely. Beautiful quilts. I love that you are inspired by your girls to make the world a more beautiful place for them. Thank you for making stuff and for being a caring, loving mother.

JB June 15, 2013 at 2:18 AM  

The scissor holder is a genius idea. I think I would end up with several of them hanging from me for all the things I lose. I also spend a lot of time looking for things. Good blog hopping work!

Ali June 15, 2013 at 5:49 AM  

Hi nice to meet you. Your girls are so cute, I can see how they would inspire you. And a long arm- you lucky girl!

Laura C @ littleandlots June 15, 2013 at 6:57 AM  

1) your girls are beautiful! Did you take that photo of them sitting on the step? 2) You do lovely long-arm quilting! That's like a far-away dream for me, to be able to long-arm. 3) Your scissors tip is great, and so handy. Love it.

Valerie June 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM  

Lovely write up! I too struggle with finding that right balance- sometimes all I think about is quilting but of course other obligations want their time too! Nice to meet you !

wonderlandbyalyce June 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM  

Your girls are adorable. I understand about having a hard time with the work/life/quilting balance as I don't even work, but I still can't seem to find time to sew daily with 3 kids and a husband to tend to. Look forward to seeing more of your quilting.

Erica June 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM  

Your daughters are adorable! I really like your writing voice (if that makes any sense). Sometimes the writing on blogs can be a little boring to read, but yours is very nice. I also really like your header!

Cari June 16, 2013 at 12:54 AM  

How exciting to have your own longarm machine! Sounds like life keeps you pretty busy, but it's so impressive that you're learning this new skill in the midst of it all.

Rachel June 16, 2013 at 6:13 AM  

The longarm machine looks quite industrial. You must have a lot of fun quilting with it. Very impressive.

Paula June 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM  

Hi Melissa. Nice to 'meet' you. I'm fairly new to all this so I'm hopping around (figuratively and literally it seems) trying to figure it all out and soaking up all the advice and ideas I can from so many friendly talented bloggers!!!

Leigh Anne June 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM  

Great post Melissa! Nice to 'meet' you :) I'm a little jealous of your longarm LOL. It's on my wishlist for sure.

Amanda June 16, 2013 at 3:34 PM  

Your girls are beautiful!!

I can totally relate to the work/life/hobby balance thing and the husband travel thing. I usually work 40-60 hours per week and drive two hours a day to do so. It means long weeks and weekends spent trying to cram the rest of my life in and recuperate.

For the last six months, my husband has been living in a different country and we've been bouncing back and forth every two weeks to try and see each other. We don't have kids yet so I can't even imagine how difficult it would be juggling all of that with two little ones.

Love that you are working on becoming a long-arm quilter. I think that might be the only way that I would really love to do the quilting on my quilts!

Judy June 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM  

Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your blogging life. I am still trying to find the balance between work, quilting and home. I need to stop by more often.

Liz June 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM  

nice to meet you Melissa :) I totally sympathize with not being able to quilt as much as you want, working full time is no fun! I'm excited to see more of your long arm quilting adventures!

Jess June 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM  

Great to get to know you Melissa. I can't imagine trying to sew with two little ones. I sometimes struggle and we only have one big puppy. :)

Ruth June 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM  

Hi Melissa, I also work full time and travel quite a bit so patchwork and quilting are my relaxing and unwinding time. I prefer the piecing to the quilting so far but probably need to practice. I also entered the modern mini challenge and love the quilting on your mini.

Kathy@KayakQuilting June 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM  

Love your blog name and the story behind it (your daughters are adorable). And good for you to juggling time between parenting, that beautiful long arm, professional duties and so on! Not easy!! How nice to have quilting as a time for you. We accountants do like to play with numbers...designing quilts or otherwise!

Sassafras Lane June 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM  

Your girls are adorable! Finding time for a hobby can be difficult! Slowly but surely you will find the perfect balance!

Heidi Staples June 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM  

Wonderful post, Melissa! I don't know how you manage everything -- you've got a lot on your plate right now. Your girls are BEAUTIFUL! I love that photo of them together!

Casey York June 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM  

It's so nice to meet you, and your daughters are beautiful. I'll bet they keep you busy, too! How has your experience been quilting small projects on your long-arm? I have a smaller one I'd like to long-arm quilt, but I've only worked on larger projects and somehow it's gotten into my head that the machine won't take my smaller things. I'm glad to hear from you that it is indeed possible!

Ella and Nesta June 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM  

Your daughters are beautiful and you can tell they are a great inspiration for you. Love your banner!

Caroline June 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM  

Great to meet you:) Your girls are adorable, I'm sure they keep you plenty busy. Your quilting is great. I'm learning it takes LOTS of practice!

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats June 18, 2013 at 8:26 PM  

How adorable are those little ladies (and their silver dresses)!?! Lovely to meet you ;)

Sarah June 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM  

Hi Melissa, it's lovely to meet you. Your girls are adorable. Sarah x

Stephanie June 19, 2013 at 7:13 PM  

What a great long-arm setup - I'm jealous!! :) Beautiful blog - it's great to meet you through the hop. And just to add a little more gushing, I adore the mini that you submitted to the Modern Mini Challenge. Great design and the quilting is the icing on the cake!

amy June 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM  

So lovely to meet you! Your long arm looks lovely, I'm a bit jealous. And yes about the old machines! I use my grandmother's machine from the 70s, a Bernina. It's seriously a workhorse!

Molli Sparkles June 20, 2013 at 2:49 AM  

Do you wanna quit our jobs together and run off into the sunset where we can quilt forever and no one has to know?!

Cloud CouCou June 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM  

Hi, nice to 'meet' you! Your girls are so cute :)It's amazing that you're learning to longarm quilt, the whole thing is a mystery to me! Good luck with your goal. Amy

QuiltCandy June 21, 2013 at 3:51 AM  

Hi There, it's lovely to meet you, I am sorry I am so late! Your work is gorgeous, as are your girls! I love the sound of Pool Fridays too :-) That's awesome that you've got a long arm, I wouldn't have a clue how to use one. Good luck with getting to grip with it and making even more beautiful quilts!

Emily June 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM  

I'm so jealous of your Tin Lizzy! A friend of mine bought the smallest version they have and she just loves it. So lucky of you to spend extra time with your daughters right now! They are precious :)

Gwendellyn June 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM  

Good luck with your longarming!! I hope one day I could try my hand at it, not sure if I'd ever buy one. I think I lose scissors at the same rate!! I always spend forever looking for them. They're almost always in the couch, and my husband is terrified to sit down there now, haha.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Designed by HotBliggityBlog

Back to TOP